Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tempeh

It took me some time to like tempeh, but now I am hooked. Some say tempeh (a patty made of fermented soybeans and held together by a fungus) is healthier than tofu, but I'm all about the flavor. Unlike the taste-less tofu, tempeh has a slightly sour, nutty flavor. It's meaty texture makes it excellent as a faux-meat, it's high in protein and probiotics. I first had tempeh in the form of a tempeh burger, but then worked my way up to the raw stuff itself. The following is my favorite tempeh recipe:

Extraordinary Tempeh Sautee

Ingredients:
1 block of frozen tempeh, thawed(I like the multigrain that has millet, flax and wild rice)
2Tbsp Braggs (or your favorite soy sauce, I like Tamari)
1 Tbsp brown rice vinegar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/2 bunch of Kale
1 smallish carrot
1/2 daikon radish (depends on the size)
2 cloves garlic
2tsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 green onions

Place the Braggs, vinegar, sesame oil & seeds, garlic, ginger and green onions in a bowl, whisk thoroughly.
Cube the tempeh and put in a ceramic dish with marinade. Let set for at least an hour.
Heat pan. Chop kale (I remove the stringy vein in the middle of the leaves). Grate the carrot and daikon with a cheese grater. Add a bit of sesame oil in pan and sautee kale, carrots, and daikon. Add the marinated tempeh and heat until brown.

This goes great with rice, or eaten alone.
Delicious!

No comments: